Saturday, April 4, 2009

Rainy Season

The rainy season has arrived! It starts raining at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning almost everyday and rains until late morning. Then it continues to rain intermittently the rest of the day. The once orange-dust covered roads have now turned to mud, dotted with pond-like potholes. On a taxi ride one day my window was down and another taxi sped around mine at the exact moment it encountered one of the giant mud filled potholes. Needless to say, I got severely splashed with orange water.

Another day last week JP and I were running in the swamps, and we got a little lost. We happened upon some children eating jack fruit and asked them to lead us back to the main road. When we came to a wide mud bog they agilely leapt from grass heap to grass heap, easily navigating the bog. I, unfortunately, was not so graceful. I miscalculated one of their jumps and landed knee deep in thick, disgusting, dark black, muddy water. I’m sure they had a great story to tell their parents when they got home. “Mom, we meet these Mzungus in the swamp today. We gave them jack fruit, and then one of them managed to cover herself in mud. Mzungus are so bizarre.”

Below is a picture I took in Kampala. The road had a four inch thick layer of mud, and this truck wasn’t going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment